Transpotation at a glance
There are four major international airports around Kyoto: Kansai Int'l Airport (KIX), Chubu Centrair Int'l Airport (NGO), Tokyo Int'l Airport (Haneda; HND), and Narita Int'l Airport (NRT).
Kansai Int'l Airport (KIX) to Kyoto
KIX is the closest international airport from central Kyoto. There are two main options to get to the city from the airport:
- Limousine Bus: Limousin bus brings you directly to Kyoto station in 85 min. This is by far the most convenient, no transfer, and reasonably priced (2,550 JPY) option. Please see details.
- Train: JR Haruka Airport Express is a train connected between KIX and Kyoto station in 80 min. This trains run every half hour in the morning and evening, and every hour during daytime hours. The fare is around 3,080 JPY. Please see JR West.
Osaka Itami Airport (ITM) to Kyoto
Limousine bus is the best way to Kyoto. Duration: about 55 minutes, fare: 1,280 JPY, see details. Note that ITM is an alternative airport for attendees who cannot easily access KIX. Since ITM is only for domestic flights, you have to transit to a domestic flight at an international airport, e.g., NRT.
Narita Int'l Airport (NRT) to Kyoto
- Domestic Flight: The easiest way is to fly from NRT to ITM though the number of flights is limited. An alliterative way is to move to HND by a limousine bus (approx. 75 min./ fare: JPY 3,000) and then fly to ITM or KIX on a domestic flight.
- Train: An alternative way is travelling by train. After moving to JR Tokyo station by Narita Express or a limousine bus, you should travel to JR Kyoto station by Shinkansen (bullet train) and transfer to JR line to Nara Station. It takes approximately 5 hours in total.
Chubu Centrair Int'l Airport (NGO) to Kyoto
- Train: Train services are avalible from NGO to Kyoto via Nagoya station. There are expresse trains between NGO and Nagoya station in 28 minutes, see here. Then JR Shinkansen is the fastest way to Kyoto from Nagoya station.
- Bus: Express bus connects NGO and Kyoto in about 3 hours, 3,000 JPY. Note that you have to transfer at IKUWASHAKO or KINTETSU-YOKKAICHI, see here.
Tokyo Int'l Airport (Haneda; HND) to Kyoto
- Domestic Flight: Frequent flights are available from HND to ITM. See ANA or JAL.
- Train: You can go to Kyoto from Haneda in 3 hours by train.
- Haneda to Shinagawa station by Keikyu Airport Line’s Rapid Limited Express in 16 minutes for 410 JPY.
- Shinagawa to Kyoto by Shinkansen in 2.5 hours for approximately 13,000 JPY.